Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 54, Off The Trail

September 6
600 miles down, 0 to go

Where are we? On an Amtrak train headed to Michigan. Off the trail.

I woke up this morning, freezing and numb from the cold. I packed my bag and ate a Pop-tart, crying in between bites.

In my mind, I've been done with the trail the last few days but haven't wanted to admit it, feeling like we'd done so much to get where we are. And nearly 600 miles in, over a quarter of the way. Since it started getting bitter cold, I realized that we didn't beat the cold, even though we were heading south. Fall and its change in weather was already upon us. With needing to buy winter gear very soon and gear being expensive, we wouldn't be able to finish the trail with the money we have. As much as I want to get to Springer Mountain in Georgia, I realize that we wouldn't be there for another 1,500 miles, or three months, enduring a lot of the miserable cold. As much as I want to finish, I don't want to put myself through misery just to get a picture on a mountain, or the feeling that "we did it." 

As the terrain passes outside, and we get further and further from the trail, I can't help but feel like I let Ethan down. He wanted so bad to continue on the trail and finish, but he would not accept being without me to be on the trail. I love him for that, but can't help but feel a little bummed. 

I am bummed, I admit. But I know that God will open the right doors for us and continue to provide in ways unimaginable! 

We have had some amazing times, unimaginable views and met wonderful people along the way. What we've learned in a few weeks is what some learn over the course of years. This experience has definitely drawn us closer, and has been the experience of a lifetime.

Right now, we are on a train to Toledo, with a connecting bus that will arrive in Detroit at 7 am. We met a wonderful trail friend from Michigan, in Rutland at the Yellow Deli Hostel, and again at Green Mountain, who had to get off the trail due to a kidney infection. She graciously offered us a ride to Ethan's parents house in Lake Ann.

We will probably spend some time in Michigan before heading back to Seattle to return to the hustle and bustle of school and work. We'd like to visit some friends in Chicago and in the south, enjoy our adventure. We've got Ethan's birthday in a few days and our first anniversary on the 15th.

If you would've told me a year ago, days before I was to marry my best friend, that within a years time I would quit my "dream" job, start hiking a 2,000+ mile long trail with a tiny savings account, only to quit six weeks in, I wouldn't believe you. Because who I was is not who I am.

Who's to say we won't finish the trail in the future, with the hardest part under our belt? God works in mysterious ways. We are so excited to see what doors He opens next, on our little adventure.

In Gorham, we stopped at Dunkin' Donuts when we felt like quitting. At the time, it worked!
The train
Scenery passing by, goodbye trail!

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you and how much you've grown. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Amy said, we are so very proud of you both! She's right: you certainly have grown -- in your marriage, in how you view life, in your perspectives and in your faith.

    Just think of it. How many folks do any of us know who have ever devoted that much time to their marriage -- time, plus 600 miles, no less! -- to communicate and really get to know each other without the distractions of a hustle-bustle world to compete with?

    You are an amazing couple who have given 100% to each other over 600 miles.

    Wow! Incredible! You did it!


    Dad and I can see how it must be so hard to finish short of your goal; Especially when neither of you don't even have the words "give up" and "quit" in your vocabulary.

    But did you really quit?

    Didn't you complete 80% of the work in 20% of the trail? And rise to the challenge of a straight-up, vertical boulder climb right off the bat to summit Katahdin? And then the Whites. The mud. Bee stings. Mucky water. Hunger. And who can forget the chance to moon tourists on a train up Mt. Washington? Come on, that's gotta count for something!

    And let's not forget "The Ethan" -- a unique chocolate-laden meal that you could make a fortune on by marketing and selling it! Think: snackshacks. Fairs. Trails. The Kettle in Enumclaw! Trail magic, big-time!

    And let's not forget the incredible relationships and life-long friendships made with Unitic, Floss, delightful Karma, and so, so many others? How about Lev? His heart needed to hear your message of unconditional love and grace. Right time. Right place.

    And then, there were the Trail Angels. They gave generously. Didn't care who got the credit. What a life lesson right there, eh?

    And what about facing those mountain tops, only to discover that -- gasp! -- they were false summits? You had to keep climbing! (Thanks, Unitic, for that incredible video full of deep meaning!)

    For each day of hiking, there were lessons learned that no Husky classroom or Nordstrom shift could ever offer.

    In our eyes, you are achievers. You've learned early on what really matters in life. And what doesn't.

    Now you get to come home to a home oodling family love in every corner. Friends to spend time with. And tweaking your food portions to normal sizes again.

    The adventures continue. They're not over. NotYet.

    Beaming with pride,

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Awesome effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katy and Ethan, I'm really proud of you guys. I have no doubt many more adventures await you both. it's in your blood. I for one would love to welcome you back to Seattle, you've got a meal at my table anytime.

    ReplyDelete