Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 52, New Shoes and Frightening Near Death Experience at Taco Bell

September 4
578.2 down, 1607.7 to go

We got a later start today, but still made great time. We decided to book it in the afternoon to Bennington to buy new shoes for me. They had gotten to the point where the toe of the shoe was no longer attached to the sole and sticks would hitchhike with me for a few steps. We pitched our tent near a river and beautiful bridge right near the highway outside of Bennington and put out thumbs out for a ride on the side of the road. After 30 minutes with no luck, I was starting to get cold so I asked NotYet to go grab my pants from the camp. Who gave us a ride? The first car to pass by when he was out of sight...whatever works, I guess!

We got into Bennington, got me some new shoes, and booked it to Taco Bell. Let me pause for a second to ask you, have you ever eaten a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and swallowed to soon and the crispy tortilla was caught going down your throat in a piece too big? You paused, looking at the person across from you, your life flashing before or eyes...Was this it, am I really going to die in a Taco Bell in small town America? Had that ever happened to you? That's what happened to me. I took a swig of some water and somehow survived. My throat was really sore though.

We paid for a taxi and got a ride back to our cozy tent with enough time to read about the adventures of John Muir and Dan Brown. A great day in hiker town. 

Bridge near campsite 
My shoes on their last leg, pun intended. He he... Not pictured: the massive hole near the pinkie toe on the left shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment